Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Snot and Holistic

Two short notes:

  • First, I can deal with poop (in all forms), pee, spit up, vomit, blood, etc. with no problems. Seriously, the stuff doesn't affect me at all. I have never gotten queasy at the sight of my child throwing up, at having to clean up poop off a wall (yes it's happening in our house and not from Brayden smearing a diaper around or anything). It's just life; it's just being a mom. This past week was full of every single one of those lovely bodily functions from one of us or another thanks to the wonderful flu virus that we all had. But, the one thing, the one measly thing that I can deal with, doesn't make me queasy but just flat out grosses me out is snot, mucousy green and yellow, boogers coming out of the nose, clear or not, snot. It's so disgusting and has in fact plagued our house and both of my youngins.  Brayden is old enough to be bothered by it, and unless I seriouslyh ad him sit next to me every single second of the day, I will find it on his hands, arms, shirts, blanket, etc. I try to keep up on getting him to get tissues, wipe his nose and throw them away, but I swear, the kids nose is a faucet. So then, I feel like I am chasing him with baby wipes and wet washcloths to clean him up all the time. And then there is my sweet Paytin, who thankfully got over the fever and puking part of the bug rather quickly, but has been a congested mess ever since. She has the most stubborn mucous ever. There is nothing short of a miracle to get her suctioned and breathing normally, hence the fact that I was up every single hour with her last night, and slept on my rocking chair cushions on the floor of her room, a hot humid mess with her humidifier going all night, to keep an eye and ear on her, without both of us waking Mike up every moment.
  • Which brings me to my next blog entry, I'm not trying to go all holistic on everyone, but I may think that breastmilk is one of God's coolest inventions these days. Not only has it made my almost 3 month old pretty much double her birth weight already (I think she is only about 4-5 ounces off from literally being double it) but it flat out cured her clogged tear duct. When warm wash cloths and massaging wasn't working, I spent two days putting a little in her eye a few times a day, and for about 3 weeks now its been completely cleared up. Cool right? Well, last night, after hours of saline mist and suctioning Paytin's nose with no such luck and a still snotty girl, I read online that breastmilk can really help clear up congestion. Why not try it right? Within 15 minutes I was able to get two large masses of mucous from Paytin's nose and she slept for 1.5 hours straight (probably exhausted from being up all night too) and all day her nose has run when she sneezes, so the mucous is finally exiting her body. Might be gross to share, but I think it's pretty darn awesome what all God designed breastmilk to be able to do! Mike was laughing at me earlier and my excitement that it had helped and made a comment about being a super hero called "Super Boobs" LOL :)

1 comment: