Saturday, February 2, 2013

Take a Walk

Seems like I've been in a funk, maybe a bit bluesy, or just kind of in a rut for a little while now. Nothing serious, just seems like I have been going through the motions and trying to "get through" things rather then enjoy them. I know everyone goes through times in life like these where you have to work harder to have a joyful heart and see the glass half full instead of half empty. One thing I can say about times like these, is when you find a special "joyful" moment, it can touch your heart in a big way, for no specific reason.

No big journal entry here, but I was able to get home with the kids early enough yesterday to take a walk outside. I have had Spring fever for a couple weeks now and had been dying to get out in the sunshine all week, even if there is still plenty of snow on the ground. Turned out I had a flat tire on the jogging stroller and I explained to Brayden about pumping up a tire and asked him if he wanted to help. He was so excited and it was a great reminder to me again that we can always find joy in the smallest of things, even if they are chores. He laid right down on the asphalt and got plenty dirty trying to figure out just the right way to get it on the tire to get the air in, and was so proud to feel the tire go from "squishy to hard" because he did it right. He was even proud to be all dirty, which usually isn't his favorite thing. It was so sweet to see his face beaming with pride!

On the way home later in the walk, after he had taken the turn to push Paytin in the stroller, he decided to race. I let him get pretty far ahead of me (remind you, we live in a TINY town, so I wasn't worried about traffic or cars), probably about 30-40 feet, and then I asked him to stop and wait for me. He stopped for a second, turned around and explained to me that he was a big boy and he wanted too and could walk home all by himself. He didn't say it arguing, just with a kind of pride in himself and what he knew he was big enough to do. I was really proud of him. It's small I know, but I love seeing him grow up, and watching him  believe in himself, take pride in the new things he is able to do. So I let him keep on walking ahead of us, being able to see him the whole time, except for the end of the walk where Paytin and I just had to race him home....he won :).

1 comment:

  1. Madge (read my other comment if you don't know who this is) ;)February 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

    Awwww....so glad you guys got out for a walk. We finally did yesterday and then a quick one today for Jillifish and I before the rain came back! I am so ready for spring then summer and hopefully at least one visit to see you and one to momma's over the spring/summer! I am getting all my Spring cleaning done now so once it warms up I can head outside and not be thinking "ugh I need to clean a million thing when we get home!" Love you sissy and praying for more wonderful moments of joy brought to you by God through your cutie kiddos and wonderful hubby!

    ReplyDelete