I really think that my kids teach me more everyday then I could ever dream of hoping to teach them, and today was just case in point. We had three errands to run in town today. I think it's a stretch to say that the furthest place we had to go was a mile from our home, I really dont even think its that. But for some reason in that small amount of time we were out and about Paytin conjured up the capability to cry and scream louder than ever before. Now, if you know Paytin, that's not really her MO. She's usually happy and easy going as long as you keep her fed and preoccupied. Boredom and Hunger are her downfalls. Knowing she wasn't hungry, and doubting that it was boredom, we had to finish those three errands. By the time we reached our last place (about 15 minutes since the errands began, yes, our town is really that small) she was completely beside herself crying in a way I hadn't heard before (and yes, this was with me comforting her, giving her her pacifier, stroking her cheek, etc.). I took her out of her carseat, brought her into the post office with Brayden and I and the crying subsided for a moment. But the second her bootie hit the carseat she went fullforce to a new octave. At that point I seriously contemplated leaving my car at the Post Office and just walking with both kids home so she wouldnt have to be in her car seat screaming even 10 more seconds but I didnt.
I'm pulling out of the parking lot, trying to keep my hand on her pacifier and turn the wheel at the same time, and I just think to myself "I give up. Holing the pacifier isn't working. She can just cry the rest of the two minute drive." But my ears were shot, and I was already irritated that a place I needed to go to was closed even during their "open" hours and I just felt frazzled. Brayden has been right beside her the whole time and been super patient, not whining about her crying or even making a peep himself. Then I hear him start to say "Don't cry Paytin, don't be sad." and then he starts to sing her his version of Twinkly Twinkle Little Star while holding her pacifier in her mouth and stroking her cheek. This from her 3 year old brother, who has listened to the same screaming I have for the last 20 minutes. He even added in a "Shh Shh Shh" while gently patting her as she started to take her pacifier and stop crying so loudly, and then he added in a "That's a girl" for good measure at the end. I reached the driveway, and turned in my seat, Paytin started crying and Brayden started singing again to her.
Talk about a lesson in patience and compassion for this Mommy! I wasn't so much frustrated with Paytin because I knew she wasn't comfortable (though I don't know why) but just frustrated I couldn't fix it and that I was stuck not being home in a place where I could try to help her more. But Brayden showed me and taught me a lot in that little moment. That patience, and calmness, and compassion go a long way even in a heated/tiresome/frustrating moment.
He really is such a gem of a boy and I am so grateful for all that he teaches me!
What a sweetheart!! That story just warms my heart....what a wonderful sweet and caring little boy! :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...this is just too precious! Yes, what a sweetie he is and smart too...
ReplyDelete