Friday, November 23, 2012

A beautiful Thanksgiving

We had a great Thanksgiving yesterday with family in our own home. The morning started with Brayden and I making a Homemade Dutch Apple Pie together and the rest of the day went just as seemlessly and created lots of new fun memories. I knew this year would be feeling like it was lacking without Mike's Dad there, and it did, but I couldnt help but feel his presence among us and feel God's hand on our day allowing things to go as well as they did and allow everyone to really enjoy spending time together. Mike fried two turkeys, Mike's mom made a bunch of delicious food but nothing can top her famous Butternut Squash Soup, and I chimed in with some crockpot mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole, and the pie. Mike's partner was able to come join us later in the day since the guys had to work last night, and Mike's Aunt and Uncle and Mike's Brothers family were all able to join us for the day of festivities. We didn't have some nicely decorated table, and Martha Stewart wouldn't have been impressed with our "eat anywhere but not out in the cold" approach, but I thought it was perfect, kids playing, ladies taking turns in the kitchen, laughter, music, football, the Macy's parade, turkey frying in the garage, etc. I'm so grateful for all the little blessings in my life and don't want to lose sight of the special moments like Mike holding Paytin on his lap just before he had to go to work while I fed her her Thanksgiving dinner, or Brayden's silliness as we worked on the pie together, my teenage sister in law standing strong and smiling on the first holiday without her Daddy, a mother in law who puts together food and preperations like its not hard at all,....we are so very blessed for another year, and another Holiday Season to be among us!

1 comment:

  1. The "firsts" are always so hard, but you are sharp, sweetie, to know that Danny's presence is everywhere, and with you all even more than ever now. Sounds like you had a wonderful, and YUMMY, holiday!

    ReplyDelete